3/4 cup raw organic honey
3 finely grated carrots
10 pitted dates (soaked in boiling water)
1/2 a cup organic coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bicarb
10 organic – free range eggs
2 tablespoons of homemade vanilla extract (recipe in recipe section)
2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
1/2 cup yoghurt
100 grams organic butter (preferably cultured) – let sit at room temperature
2 cups of yoghurt dripped to thicken or make some creme fraiche
5-6 tablespoons raw honey
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
This recipe can make a lovely carrot cake or regular sized muffins or mini muffins.
*Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
1. Finely grate the carrots and place them in a small bowl. Pour the honey over the carrots and place them in the fridge for 20 minutes.
2. Cover the dates with boiling water in a separate bowl and let them sit for 20 minutes also. When they are nice and soft, you can easily remove the pit inside.
3. In a mixing bowl or thermomix – add eggs, carrot mixture, dates, vanilla extract, yoghurt, melted coconut oil and blend well until the mixture is runny.
4. Add the remaining dry ingredients to the mixture and mix further until all combined into a thick paste.
5. Pour the mixture into a bleach free baking lined cake tin or muffin tins with bleach free baking cups
The cake baking time is approximately 50 minutes
The muffin standard cup size makes approximately 12 with a bit left over to make mini muffins. The standard muffin size cook time is approximately 30 minutes and the smaller mini size usually takes 20 minutes cooking time.
1. Drip your yoghurt to thicken or make some creme fraiche for best results as this will make it thick and creamier.
2. Combine butter (that has softened at room temperature) with yoghurt and mix well.
3. Gradually add the honey followed by the lemon juice. You don’t have to use all the lemon juice if you don’t want to, pending on preferred taste.
4. Spread frosting on your cake or muffins and garnish with a walnut or crushed nuts of your choice.